Ultimate Guide of Places to see and things to do in Rhodes, Greece
Welcome to another guide by the friendly folk at AtoB Transfer, where we want to ensure that you not only have incredible airport transfers, but also an overall unforgettable holiday experience. This guide is gonna make certain of that! In this new top 10+1 guide, we are going to take you on a quick tour of everything we believe you should see during your trip to Rhodes. From the ancient city of Rhodes to the picturesque Symi island, we are sure there’s something for everything on this gorgeous Greek island. So, whether you’re into history or just laying around on the beach, this guide has got you covered. Pack your bags and sunscreen and let’s go to Rhodes!
10+1 Best Places To See and Things To Do in Rhodes, Greece
1. Mediaeval Old City: The Mediaeval Old City of Rhodes is one of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites, and it’s pretty easy to deduce why. This stunning historic city is home to numerous landmarks, including the Palace of the Grand Master. Visitors can wander the charming Street of Knights, admiring the impressive buildings and imagining what life was like for the knights who once called it home. For some absolutely amazing panoramic views of the city below, be sure to climb the Roloi Clock Tower, which offers a breathtaking vantage point. A visit to the Mediaeval Old City of Rhodes is a must for any traveler to the island.
2. Mandraki Modern City: The modern part of Rhodes is equally as captivating as its ancient counterpart. This section of the harbor town hosts some of the island’s best restaurants, bars, and cafes, meaning it is the perfect spot for a little bite to eat and perhaps a few glasses of wine, too! If you are feeling particularly spritely (especially after the wine!), you can also take a stroll along the picturesque marina, admiring the stunning boats and yachts docked there. Be sure to visit the towering bronze statues of the deer, which are said to stand at the spot where the ancient Colossus of Rhodes once stood!
3. Lindos: Here, you can explore the centuries-old acropolis, silently resting high on a hill overlooking the village, and be awestruck at the impressive views of the surrounding sea and countryside. If that sounds a little too intense, there’s also a laid-back alternative: Lindos’ pristine beaches are a haven of relaxation, offering crystal-clear waters and white sand. Whether you’re interested in history or simply seeking a relaxing day at the beach, Lindos is a must-see destination in Rhodes.
4. Faliraki Beach: Arguably the most popular beach on the little island paradise of Rhodes, and there isn’t much of a mystery as to why. This beautiful little beach has absolutely crystal-clear waters lapping up on the wide expanse of golden sand, making it an amazing place to soak up some serious rays. For the adrenaline addicts out there, there are also a range of water sports for you to go wild with, included in the wide variety are jet skiing, parasailing, and windsurfing; alternatively, if that sounds a little too terrifying, you can simply take a leisurely stroll down the beach promenade. With its lively atmosphere and stunning natural beauty, make sure this beach is one of your first one the island!
5. Monolithos Castle: The mediaeval castle of Monolithos Castle is perched on a rocky hill overlooking the Aegean Sea. The fortress, whose name translates to Monolith (duh, right?), was built all the way back in the 15th century, and was utilised in safeguarding the island from a ton of invading forces over the centuries. Today, things are much calmer, and visitors can leisurely explore the castle remains, which provide spectacular panoramic views of the surrounding area. The castle also has a beautifully lush green forest surrounding it, which makes walking around it a serene experience. Monolithos Castle, with its rich history and spectacular natural beauty, is a must-see for any Rhodes visitor interested in history and culture.
6. Valley of the Butterflies: is a stunning nature reserve located on the western side of Rhodes. Situated near the village of Kalamonas, the valley offers visitors the opportunity to observe thousands of butterflies in their natural habitat. As visitors wander through the valley’s trails, they will be surrounded by the lush vegetation and tranquil streams that make this area so special. With its peaceful ambiance and natural beauty, the Valley of the Butterflies is a unique and unforgettable destination on the island of Rhodes.
7. Kalithea Springs: The perfect place to relax, while being cooled off by these natural springs! Just a short drive from the city itself, they can be found on the eastern coast of Rhodes. The natural springs, which were first discovered in ancient times, were transformed into a luxurious spa in the 1920s. Today, you can enjoy a dip in the crystal-clear waters of the springs, or just relax on the sun-kissed terraces surrounding the pools – the best part is that the waters are said to have healing properties! The stunning architecture and lush gardens make Kalithea Springs a must-visit destination for any traveller to Rhodes.
8. Symi Island: One of the best ways to experience the beauty of Rhodes is by taking a day cruise to Symi Island. Departing from Mandraki Harbour in Rhodes Town, visitors can sit back and relax as they sail across the sparkling Aegean Sea to the charming island of Symi. Along the way, they can admire stunning coastal landscapes, swim in the crystal-clear waters of secluded coves, and enjoy a delicious Greek lunch on board. Upon arrival, visitors can explore Symi’s picturesque harbour town, with its pastel-coloured houses and quaint streets. With its stunning scenery and laid-back atmosphere, a day cruise to Symi Island is a must-do experience for any traveller to Rhodes.
9. Sunset dinner cruises: As the sun dips below the horizon, the stunning colors of the sky provide the perfect backdrop for a romantic evening on the water. Guests can enjoy a delicious dinner on board, featuring fresh Mediterranean cuisine and local wines. As the boat glides along the coast, they can take in the breathtaking views of Rhodes at night, with its twinkling lights and majestic castle. With live music and entertainment adding to the ambiance, a sunset dinner cruise is the perfect way to cap off a memorable day in Rhodes.
10. Filerimos Monastery: No article on Rhodes, or even Greece for that matter, would be complete without at least one mention of a monastery, so let’s talk about Filerimos Monastery. The name Filerimos means “lover of solitude” and this peaceful spot certainly lives up to its name. Located near the village of Trianda, the monastery was built and started operations in the 15th century. It boasts a rich, colourful history in Orthodox Christianity, including being used as a fortress during the Ottoman occupation of Rhodes. Visitors can wander the tranquil grounds, admire the beautiful Byzantine architecture, and take in the sweeping views of the island from the hilltop location.
11. Peacocks at Rodini Park: As a bonus entry on this list, we have the hidden gem of Rodini Park, a lush green oasis located just a few kilometers from the city center. Not only does it offer a welcome respite from the loud city of Rhodes, but it is also home to a colorful cast of characters – the peacocks. These regal birds roam freely throughout the park, their vibrant plumage and distinctive calls adding to the tranquil atmosphere. You can slowly stroll down the winding paths, enjoy a picnic, and simply relax for a peaceful afternoon among the peacocks and other wildlife.
Rhodes, Greece Travel and More
As you can see, Rhodes is a truly amazing island full of history, culture and natural beauty. Whether your idea of an awesome vacation is exploring the ancient city walls, or just chilling out and soaking up some rays on a sandy beach, we hope that this guide will have pointed you in the right direction.
As a closing remark, we also wanted to mention transportation. While public transport is definitely available, it can oftentimes be crowded and inconvenient, especially during the summer months. So, for a hassle-free and comfortable experience, why not organise all of your Rhodes transfers with AtoB? Our Rhodes airport transfer service, as well as our luxurious chauffeur service and day tours ensure that your trip is perfect from beginning to end. So why wait? Book your transportation today and get ready for an unforgettable adventure on the stunning island of Rhodes!